Hi all,
I am writing this to let you all know of a couple of spots that may be of
interest to you for birding. I am unable to check them out ahead of time as I
can not walk the distance. I thought maybe someone might be interested in
doing so.
There are two different sites in Bristol that I have been told are good areas
for birding. It would be nice to know just what species are at these sites.
One is called Sycamore Park. If traveling from Route 7, turn east onto Rte. 17.
Travel to the flashing traffic lights where Rte. 116 South intersects with 17
and Burpee Road. Turn south onto Rte. 116. Travel south for a few miles. You
will bare left where 116 intersects with River Road. (Do not go straight onto
River Road). There will be a one way bridge with traffic light just up the road
passed that bend to the left. On your right just before the bridge is a turn off
which goes down into the parking lot for Sycamore Park. The trail goes over in
a distance and this park also abuts the New Haven River.
It was already a nice area but several months ago, a native Bristol elderly lady
passed away who loved birds. She asked her attorney to make sure any
money that was left from her estate be spent on the birds in the Bristol area.
They chose Sycamore Park to plant more shrubs, trees, etc. and added a
plaque in her memory. Her name was Edith Stokes. So it might be nice to visit
there.
The second area is at Memorial Park in Bristol. This is a lovely area that has a
waterfall and footbridge to walk over and will take you way over into a very
nice area. Again, the river runs through there. Nicely wooded and I would
imagine a wonderful place where many birds have made their home.
Again, if traveling from Rt. 7, turn onto 17 east. Continue on going through
Bristol Village straight towards Starksboro. After a couple of miles, the road
turns to Rt. 116 North.
Continue on rt 116 until you come to a turn on your right which is Rt. 17. Turn
there and travel 2 or 3 miles maybe. You will see a pulloff on your right which
sets up on a small hill. This is Memorial Parks parking lot. You will then travel
by foot thru the trail.
I am looking forward to hearing what all birds may be at these two places. If
anyone should visit them, please be sure to post your findings here so I may
read them.
Thank you,
Debbie Lyter
Bristol