Last year (all day drizzle) we had 16 warblers; this year only 9 and only COYE, YEWA, AMRE, OVEN species seemed to be 'findable'.  Good to see there were warblers north of here... maybe not stopping here to refuel????    We also heard almost NO thrushes !  On the other hand we had 2 Kestrals this yr after none for past 3 yrs, a Red- Bellied SS -male! and a Black Duck.   The Rough-winged Swallows were the most abundant s and I think just 'in'.  Whereas we saw only 2 Bank S, there were many more today.. again just arrived, I guess.

Ruth Stewart

Location: Man 2 /Arl 5 Bird-a-thonObservation date: 5/17/08Notes: Birdathon 45-70 degrees. Sunny. Few warblers (missing or overflying in migration?) No thrush song. Barb P, Martha P, Davie R. Red-bellied wp, 2 kestral in 2 different places! Number of species: 85 Canada Goose 40Wood Duck 5American Black Duck 1Mallard 7Hooded Merganser 1Common Merganser 3Wild Turkey 2Great Blue Heron 6Green Heron 2Turkey Vulture 4Red-tailed Hawk 1American Kestrel 2Virginia Rail 2Killdeer 2Spotted Sandpiper 2Solitary Sandpiper 4Least Sandpiper 2Rock Pigeon 6Mourning Dove 6Chimney Swift 6Ruby-throated Hummingbird 6Belted Kingfisher 2Red-bellied Woodpecker 1Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 4Downy Woodpecker 2Northern Flicker 2Least Flycatcher 1Eastern Phoebe 4Great Crested Flycatcher 4Eastern Kingbird 10Yellow-throated Vireo 1Blue-headed Vireo 1Warbling Vireo 8Red-eyed Vireo 2Blue Jay XAmerican Crow XTree Swallow XNorthern Rough-winged Swallow 30Bank Swallow 2Cliff Swallow 1Barn Swallow XBlack-capped Chickadee XTufted Titmouse XWhite-breasted Nuthatch 4Carolina Wren 1House Wren 4Eastern Bluebird 4Veery 2Wood Thrush 1American Robin XGray Catbird XNorthern Mockingbird 2Brown Thrasher 1European Starling XYellow Warbler XChestnut-sided Warbler 8Yellow-rumped Warbler 6Blackburnian Warbler 3Black-and-white Warbler 1American Redstart 6Ovenbird XNorthern Waterthrush 1Common Yellowthroat XScarlet Tanager 2Eastern Towhee 1Chipping Sparrow XField Sparrow 2Savannah Sparrow 4Song Sparrow XSwamp Sparrow XWhite-throated Sparrow 2White-crowned Sparrow 4Dark-eyed Junco 2Northern Cardinal XRose-breasted Grosbeak XIndigo Bunting 1Bobolink XRed-winged Blackbird XCommon Grackle XBrown-headed Cowbird XBaltimore Oriole XPurple Finch 2House Finch XAmerican Goldfinch XHouse Sparrow X This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/vt)

Make every e-mail and IM count. Join the iím Initiative from Microsoft.