From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Ursula Scott
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 8:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hopeful Retiree & retired re: mtg MLA Monday 3:30

I encourage anyone thinking of retiring in the next 4 years to attend
the organizational meeting for the SIG because I hope that working and
retired librarians can help and learn from each other.   If we get a
listserv, people could post questions about all kind of issues.

Likewise, I worry about so many people retiring and so much expertise
going out the door.  A SIG could be a way people can continue to provide
meaningful work either to MLA or their local library community (or to
the world library community).

    Monday, May 19    3:30-4:30 PM
   Hyatt Regency              Field Rm.

About volunteer jobs: I think we do need to be careful not to perform
jobs that paid workers perform or previously performed.  In addition to
volunteer jobs mentioned, there are many non-profits who have special
small collections that they will never pay a librarian to organize or
catalog:   Churches, small associations or hospital libraries with
special collections that they never seem to find funding to catalog or
make the collection known.  I personally am interested in finding
overseas library opportunities so I can contribute and travel.

I am attaching something I thought would be the talking ideas at the
meeting.  It will give you what kind of activities might be discussed.

Ursula

Ursula Scott, M.S.L.S.
University Librarian Emeritus
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
PO Box 1038
Burtonsville MD 20866

(240) 498 5678      [log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]

>>> "Feddern-Bekcan, Tanya" <[log in to unmask]> 5/8/2008 3:14 PM

Great ideas--I especially like the grant-writing one!  That would be a
huge benefit to the library and librarians on staff.

This topic (volunteer jobs) would make a great article, Joy and others
(hint, hint).

Take care,

Tanya

Tanya Feddern-Bekcan, MLIS, AHIP, MOT, OTR/L
http://www.geocities.com/nqiya/libraryarticles.html
<http://www.geocities.com/nqiya/libraryarticles.html>
305.243.6648 - [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  -
305.325.9670 (fax)
EBM Theme Co-Director & Reference and Education Librarian
Louis Calder Memorial Library - University of Miami Miller School of
Medicine