Five out of the six librarians here are in our pre-retirement years, ages ranging from 60-62, so retirement planning is of concern to us -- if we all retired around the same time we could leave the institution bereft of library historical knowledge, let alone experience.  We'd all like to go part time, but we're responsible for our families' health insurance.  Maybe we could go on 9-month contracts but that would be something new for the (faculty) librarians here (might be possible if we spread out when we took off -- not just summers -- we'll see).

My pre-retirement activities have included volunteer time with faith-based medical teams in third-world countries providing free health care to the poor.  I usually provide "logistics" support that help the doctors, surgeons, dentists, nurses, NPs, optometrists, etc.  I've also been able to help two hospital libraries in Kenya with their technology needs and a Moldova public library who had staff who wanted to share librarianship techniques while on these trips.  I'm heading out to Zambia next month.  Anyone heading out to Myanmar?

Craighton Hippenhammer
Information Technology Librarian
Benner Library & Resource Center
Olivet Nazarene University
Bourbonnais, IL 60914

>>> "Kennedy, Joy" <[log in to unmask]> 5/8/2008 9:08 AM >>>
You take on a volunteer job without competing with working librarians by choosing a job that wouldn't get done unless a volunteer did it.  That something extra that a library would like to provide.  Tours, for example.  Helping out at programs by checking people in, handing out and collecting handouts, anything to make the speaker more comfortable.  Providing a regular tutoring class at the public library on using the internet to find health information.  Setting up and maintaining the history of a hospital, identifying people in pictures, digitizing them and making them available through cooperative public and historical library projects.  Digitizing hospital newsletters, clipping files for use by historians, collecting and transcribing local history from retiring doctors, healthcare workers.  Doing a unit at the local school library on finding health information for a school project.  Creating websites of links to health information on the internet for the school or public library.  I can come up with LOTS of ideas of volunteer opportunities for librarians with a health background.  While some of these projects might be parts of professional library jobs at some libraries in many situations the money would never be available to take on these extra projects on a long term basis--a grant to set up but continuing money might be hard to come by.  Oh, and by the way, helping a library write grants would be an excellent service for a retired librarian.

Re the SIG, how about broadening it to including not only retired librarians but Pre-retirement librarians who might be interested in retirement planning, parttime jobs in retirement, volunteering opportunites, etc. etc.

Joy C. Kennedy, MLS
Northwest Community Hospital
Health Resource Library
800 W. Central Rd.
Arlington Heights, IL 60005-2392
Phone:  847.618.5180
FAX:     847.618.5189

This E-Mail/telefax message and any documents accompanying this transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended solely for the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on the contents of this E-Mail/telefax information is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action against you. Please reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and immediately delete/destroy the message and any accompanying documents. Thank you.