Sorry, I had to write the Wizard of Oz answer.

Things to think about: the computer that you type into is the Master
of the computer that is located on a board in the mass spectrometer
itself. That computer board is the "slave". When the two are not in
proper communication, problems arise. Its not just an annoying
Windows moment, but a real control problem.

That may not have been clear to you. Master-slave. Its an old
fashioned concept.

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn L. Fogel
Geophysical Laboratory