The Village of Enosburg Falls does not accept property tax payments based
on postmarks. We have to have them in hand by close of business on the due
date (for us, 4:00PM).  We state this on the bill.  We were told by our
attorney that having a due "time" before midnight on the due date requires
that the voters accept that time, so we warned that practice at town
meeting and it was approved.

The Village has had a drop box in our door for years for overnight payments
with no problems. We do tell citizens (with a posting on the door) that
they leave payments, especially cash payments, at their own risk.

-Suzanne

At 05:54 PM 06/12/2008 -0400, you wrote:

>Barre City currently accepts tax payments received after the deadline as
>long as they are postmarked by the deadline.  However, more and more
>frequently the post offices havent been applying a postmark.  During the
>last payment cycle, we received at least a half dozen payments with no
>postmarks some as much as 10 days after the deadline.  We felt compelled
>to accept them.  We are considering doing away with the receipt of
>postmarked payments, and are interested in what policies other
>cities/towns of our size have in place.  We would also be interested in
>peoples thoughts on drop boxes for receipt of payments are there issues of
>security or liability?
>

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Carol D
>

>Carolyn S. Dawes