In Brattleboro we index by computer.  We no longer create cards and
are slowly reindexing older records into the computer to eliminate all
cards.  We have a "master" index that is updated 1 -2 times a year,
depending upon how much we are able to accomplish, working our way
back in time.  We also have a current year index, since all current
vitals are indexed directly into the computer. That is updated once or
twice a month.  Each time we go back and proof our data entry and
reprint the master index, we pull the index cards from the file and
change our sign on the cabinet to read "Vitals through 1910" or
whatever year.  Our goal is to eventually go back to the beginning of
our records (1700's) and put the older vital index information on the
Town website for genealogists.

Annete Cappy, Brattleboro Town Clerk