Barre City currently accepts tax payments received after the deadline as
long as they are postmarked by the deadline.  However, more and more
frequently the post offices haven't been applying a postmark.  During the
last payment cycle, we received at least a half dozen payments with no
postmarks - some as much as 10 days after the deadline.  We felt compelled
to accept them.  We are considering doing away with the receipt of
postmarked payments, and are interested in what policies other cities/towns
of our size have in place.  We would also be interested in people's thoughts
on drop boxes for receipt of payments - are there issues of security or
liability?

Thanks in advance.

Carol D

Carolyn S. Dawes