Carol,

Lyndon stopped accepting postmarks for tax payments a few years ago.  The change went much better than we had expected.  The delinquent tax collector loves it.  We include the due date and TIME in the Article on our Town Meeting Warning as well as print it on the tax bills,  "due on or before November 7, 2008, at 4:30 PM."  The time of 4:30 PM is actually preprinted on our bills.  We do have a drop box, which is emptied first thing in the morning and again at 4:30.  On the day that taxes are due we put a note on the drop box saying "...this box was checked at 4:30 PM.  Any taxes deposited in this box hereafter will be considered delinquent."  The drop box is very convenient for people who can't get here during our office hours.  It is especially full on Monday mornings.  We have had several acts of vandalism to our building over the past few years, but no one has been able to get into the drop box.  Hope this helps,

Lisa Barrett
Town of Lyndon
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Carol Dawes
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:54 PM
  Subject: Postmarked tax payments

  Barre City currently accepts tax payments received after the deadline as long as they are postmarked by the deadline.  However, more and more frequently the post offices haven't been applying a postmark.  During the last payment cycle, we received at least a half dozen payments with no postmarks - some as much as 10 days after the deadline.  We felt compelled to accept them.  We are considering doing away with the receipt of postmarked payments, and are interested in what policies other cities/towns of our size have in place.  We would also be interested in people's thoughts on drop boxes for receipt of payments - are there issues of security or liability?

  Thanks in advance.

  Carol D

  Carolyn S. Dawes

  Barre City Clerk/Treasurer