I am understanding you to say that you are leaving your position with the town and have vacation time on the books that you will not be able to take before their expiration date because you are busy making sure everything is done.  If that is the case -

I would say the Selectmen can refuse to pay your vacation time based on your personnel policy but would hope that you are leaving on a better note than that.  They should want to pay you for that time earned especially seeing as you are making sure to have everything in its place prior to your departure not to mention all that you have done for the town over the years.  If attitudes have deteriorated to that degree, I would not be working nights and weekends to make sure that everything was up to date and in tip-top shape.  Their attitude would have affected me by this point.

Joan Devine

Vergennes City Clerk

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michalina Wasung Townshend Treasurer
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: vacation time question

If a salaried elected officer is retiring at the end of the fiscal year and has not used his/her 3 weeks non-accruable vacation time BECAUSE it is necessary to WORK right up to the last minute INCLUDING WEEKENDS in order to leave the work in any kind of order, can the Selectboard legally refuse to pay the requested vacation time because that person is a salaried worker and therefore has made the 'choice' not to take the vacation time previously?  Also note that this person has served as elected town officer since 1990 and has never come close to using vacation time.

Townshend