We received several surprise calls this week from town clerks asking
about an increase in the fees for marriage licenses.  The Health
Department had not requested an increase in the fee, so this puzzled us.
After much digging in the bills / laws that were passed in the recent
legislative session, we discovered it.

It is bill S.357 Act Relating to Domestic Violence and it was passed
into law.  The law takes affect on July 1st.  Buried way, way down in
the middle of the language is a statement changing the license from $23
to $45.  It states:

(1) For issuing and recording a marriage or civil union license, $23.00
$45.00 to be paid by the applicant, $8.00 $10.00 of which sum shall be
retained by the town clerk as a fee, $20.00 of which shall be deposited
in the victims' compensation special fund, and $15.00 of which sum shall
be paid by the town clerk to the state treasurer in a return filed
quarterly upon forms furnished by the state treasurer and specifying all
fees received by him or her during the quarter. Such quarterly period
shall be as of the first day of January, April, July, and October.

We were never asked about or notified of this proposed change, so this
surprised us, too.  We will change our information on the Health Dept.
web site next week.  Please let your staff know of the fee increase.

Thanks,

Rich McCoy
Director, Center for Health Statistics
Vermont Department of Health