We received several surprise calls this week from town clerks asking about an increase in the fees for marriage licenses.  The Health Department had not requested an increase in the fee, so this puzzled us.  After much digging in the bills / laws that were passed in the recent legislative session, we discovered it.

It is bill S.357 Act Relating to Domestic Violence and it was passed into law.  The law takes affect on July 1st.  Buried way, way down in the middle of the language is a statement changing the license from $23 to $45.  It states:

(1) For issuing and recording a marriage or civil union license, $23.00 $45.00 to be paid by the applicant, $8.00 $10.00 of which sum shall be retained by the town clerk as a fee, $20.00 of which shall be deposited in the victims’ compensation special fund, and $15.00 of which sum shall be paid by the town clerk to the state treasurer in a return filed quarterly upon forms furnished by the state treasurer and specifying all fees received by him or her during the quarter. Such quarterly period shall be as of the first day of January, April, July, and October.

We were never asked about or notified of this proposed change, so this surprised us, too.  We will change our information on the Health Dept. web site next week.  Please let your staff know of the fee increase.

Thanks,

Rich McCoy
Director, Center for Health Statistics
Vermont Department of Health