The following message is for Town Clerks who process Vital Records, from
Rich McCoy, at the Vermont Department of Health.
I recently returned from a conference that focused on the federal
regulations for the Real I.D. Law and requirements for Vital Records'
offices.  We'll be very busy over the next 18 months with many changes
to our systems and business processes.  As things develop, we will send
out communications to let you know of our status and if there is any
impact at your level.  At this time, we don't think so, but the
regulations will probably result in more requests for certified copies
in 2010.
We also inquired about the status of the much delayed Intelligence
Reform Law regulations, which are expected to have a significant impact
on Vital Records' offices and town clerks.  The answer from CDC was, "we
don't know."  Apparently, the draft regulations are finished and simply
waiting for approval to be released.  The question is whether that will
happen during an election period.  We were told "maybe, but perhaps
not."  In other words, we could see it released tomorrow...or not until
December.
So, we continue to play the waiting game.  As always, if we hear any
news on the release of the regulations, we'll let everyone know.
Thanks.

Rich McCoy
Director, Center for Health Statistics
Vermont Department of Health