Rick,

I think you are talking about a load balancer. Check   http://www.peplink.com/
It is viable but do not confuse bandwidth with throughput. It sounds like you have a T1 line now. Adding a dsl or cable connection will give you some relief but a 6 mg cable connection is not the same as 4 T1's. In Rutland Comcast offers a free line to schools, you might check with your cable company down there. We found a T and 2 cable lines to be a relief but it looks like we need a 2nd T to really accommodate the growing appetite for internet content. As a side note the peplink setup provides us with fail over as well so if the T goes down the beat goes on!

Jayson