Jane,
Tree frogs are much like salamanders (spotted, etc.) that travel relatively long distances to and from their breeding ponds.  This is the time of year when they do so, and the storms and higher humidity the past week or so has been conducive for their moving.  During these times they can be found quite a distance from ponds and other sites where they actually breed, often appearing on roads and in yards.  After breeding they will disperse back to the woodlands where they spend most of the year, hanging out under the loose bark of trees, often trilling when the humidity is high.  They can be good "alarms" for apporaching storms.  And, breeding "ponds" are not necessarily what we think of as ponds.  Breeding sites are generally small pools within woodlands, or grassy swales in fields; even abandoned swimming pools.  Anything that retains water long enough, and doesn't support predatory fish populations.
Rick Enser

--- On Tue, 6/17/08, Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] OT: Herp
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 9:35 AM

Thanks, Bill.

Have no idea about the dorsal surface, I was inside and he was
clinging to the window outside, so all I could see was his
underparts.

Tree frog would make sense, since they've been singing away in
the light woods behind my house, but that woods is a long way
away for such a small creature, across four or five acres of
planted red clover and then lawn.

Why do you suppose it would take such a long trip?

Jane