At 1:18 PM -0400 6/13/08, Dennis Donohue wrote:
>I totally agree with you. I have for some time jave stopped donating my
>photographs. No matter what the worthy cause one must always remember the
>the photographer not only uses his creative talents to make the images but
>most have a very large sum of money invested in equipment, travel, and
>training.

Or, at least, equipment and travel.  Some of us just never got the training :)

That said, I donate photos if I think they'll benefit a good cause or
are for an organization which promotes birding.  I.e., I've donated
photos to use with a photo spread which publicizes a speaking event
that promotes birding, and I donated a print to a museum that's
geared towards getting kids interested in nature.

I'm not interested in donating photos to larger papers, and fully
expect that if the BFP were to use one of my photos, that I'd receive
compensation.

What's interesting to me is that I've received quite a few requests
for donations of photos, and some of them actually -do- pay you if
you request it.   I had a photo recently published in an alumni
magazine; their editor seemed very interested in using it and I just
told her that if she can pay me a fair rate, I'd appreciate it.  I
would have personally probably done it just for the publicity and the
photo credit but it was nice having compensation for it as well.

What's also interesting to me is that a *lot* of us will virtually
donate photos to contests that will help promote and publicize a for
profit magazine, with an extremely small chance of getting any
compensation whatsoever for the photo.  I've done it myself, and I'm
willing to be almost every photographer here who would like to be
paid, would also love to have their work published in one of those
national magazines, even as a 3rd place (read: no compensation
whatsoever) prize.

But really, I take pictures for the love of doing so.  If I can make
a real living at it, great, but I don't have any expectations that it
will happen, and if it does, it's a -lot- more likely that I'll make
money off of my inventive art photography than off of bird and nature
photographs.

There are just -too- many of us who do wildlife photography who are
extremely good at it to expect that there's enough of a financial
resource for us all to make profit from it.

--julie

	this is not true.

			--Robert Wilensky