Apologies for duplicate messages.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	VCW VIEW Message: July 29, 2008
Date: 	Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:59:18 -0400
From: 	Talbert, Lilly <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	Talbert, Lilly <[log in to unmask]>

This is Vermont Commission on Women's (VCW) VIEW message for the week
of July 28th.  If you receive this message in error, we apologize in
advance.  Please contact us to unsubscribe: simply hit reply and add the
word "unsubscribe" in the subject heading.

*

 Peace Through Music:  Vermont Women Making A Difference**

August 18^th at 7:30 p.m.
Unitarian Church, Montpelier, Vermont

/Peace Through Music: Vermont Women Making A Difference/ will be held
Monday, August 18th at 7:30 p.m. at the Unitarian Church on Main Street
in Montpelier.  This unique event combines live musical performances
with historical narrative on how Vermont women have created "bridges of
peace through music."

Linda Radtke, Kathy Cadwell, Elisabeth Von Trapp, and Rebecca Padula
perform songs and present historical narratives about Vermont's own
Arwin Sexauer, poet, musician, and peace activist and Vermont-based
Project Harmony, founded as a music and cultural youth exchange program
to ease the tensions of the Cold War.

The event closes with a performance and group sing led by Vermont
singer/songwriter Rebecca Padula, writer and singer of  "We are Free",
which won the Vermont Peace Song contest in 2007.

Elisabeth Von Trapp will perform several of the songs that were sung
during the early years of Project Harmony.  She is the granddaughter of
the legendary Maria and Baron von Trapp, whose story inspired /The Sound
of Music/.  Singing professionally since childhood, Elisabeth has
enthralled audiences from European cathedrals to Washington D.C.'s
Kennedy Center.  She will perform several of the songs that were sung
during the early years of Project Harmony.

Kathy Cadwell, one of the three original founders of Project Harmony in
1985, will narrate a pictorial history of the early days of Project
Harmony and discuss its founding and mission.

Singer Linda Radtke has been conducting extensive research on Arwin
Sexauer, originally from a hill farm in Richford, Vermont.  Linda will
perform several of her songs with pianist John Lincoln from Montpelier
and will also narrate an historical profile of Arwin's life.  Dr. Arwin
G. Sexauer, was a poet and song writer, and co-founded, with her husband
John Garelick, Music Mission for Peace and Brotherhood.   She also wrote
Vermont's Bicentennial Song.
Linda Radtke discovered Arwin Sexauer's Bicentennial Song while
researching Vermont songs at the Vermont History Center in Barre and was
intrigued. "I just knew there had to be more there, and so I tracked
down some of Arwin's family members who sent me more than 100 songs and
poems. She was a tireless worker for world peace in her corner of
Vermont, and her story needs to be told."
Through the Music Mission for World Peace and Brotherhood, Arwin and
John sent over sixty original peace songs all over the world for
twenty-two years from their Vermont home, called La Casa de Paz. They
received replies, honors and gifts from Korea, Afghanistan, the Belgian
Congo, Israel, and Thailand, and Russia.  Hubert Humphey wrote, "I wish
I had an army of people with your ideals." Anwar Sadat from Egypt sent
an Arabic lute, Werner von Braun commended "Men of Apollo," and James
Jeffords read Arwin's poems in the House of Representatives in 1983.

Arwin writes:" Peace is everybody's business. It is up to each one to
promote peace and brotherhood in their own sphere of influence."  Linda
Radtke said, "The story of Arwin Garelick Sexauer's life and her Music
Mission for Peace is an important part of Vermont history. I'm honored
that her songs and poems are no longer hiding in a family member's
attic, but heard by people today.  It's especially touching to me that
our performance, /Peace Through Music: Vermont Women Making A
Difference/ will be on Arwin's birthday, Aug 18. I wish I could have
known her. She was a remarkable woman."

This event is free and open to the public and is sponsored by the
Vermont Women's History Project. The Vermont Women's History Project, at
www.womenshistory.vermont.gov <http://www.womenshistory.vermont.gov/>,
is an initiative of the Vermont Commission on Women.   Its mission is to
promote the understanding of the diverse experiences of women in Vermont.

*

The Vermont Workers' Center (VWC) Launches Healthcare is Human Right
Campaign

VWC members, volunteers and allies are conducting outreach to thousands
of Vermonters in communities across the state, including conducting a
Vermont healthcare survey to collect the voices of the healthcare
crisis. In the fall, there will be public healthcare human rights
hearings with testimony of "healthcare horror stories" and on the right
to health. On December 13th, the Workers' Center is holding a Human
Rights Conference, in commemoration on the 60th Anniversary of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights held at the University of Vermont.
Please follow the link below to sign the online petition and to download
and fill out the health care survey.  Survey questions of special
interest to women include domestic violence victims staying in abusive
relationships to retain medical insurance, and gender discrimination in
obtaining insurance coverage.  Survey must be printed and sent to VWC
(address is provided at the top of the page):
http://www.vtlivablewage.org/actionalerts.html

*

6th Annual Vermont Collaboration Conference on Children, Youth & Families

Friday, October 17, 2008

Killington Grand Hotel

More information at http://humanservices.vermont.gov/barre

*

Sept 24 & 25
Women & Work: Gender Responsivity & Workforce Development
Sponsored by the National Institute of Corrections, LIVE 8 hour
interactive training via satellite TV (sites must have 24 participants
minimum), contact www.nicic.gov <http://www.nicic.gov/> or
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> **

*

WBON Networking Business Card Swap
Wednesday, July 30 from 5-7p.m.
Tilley's Cafe, 161 Lower Church Street, Burlington

Click here to RSVP
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001IbFcwNvhJGwLf7wDJvBUv6_sKyPxMJYKTU1uE_zz9efC8W-j4rZlnxsFJlO1F8G0TTdKBSPGWk5TWNr934JjDEDBJoJjcvFwXtvC-2jHA7Fa0cMgAt_Lq2ybVjYlZjs8wBvQrNkNkVr9om8hnrp8Bep1tTcIjFGeyFWHMEb9FISjXH5KMWklVir1Fm31Ore1Q4_HzdaQlUU=>
Free valet parking and abundant appetizers. Be sure to let us know
you're attending so we have enough food! Enjoy this tropical venue and
talk up your business! Swap cards with WBON members and guests.Cost is
$12 for members and $20 for guests. **

*

Vermont Commission on Women (VCW)
126 State Street
Montpelier, Vermont  05633-6801
800-881-1561
Fax:  802-828-2930
Visit us at www.women.state.vt.us
And check out our fabulous history project:
www.womenshistory.vermont.gov <http://www.womenshistory.vermont.gov/>

*

Please forward this email to colleagues who share your interest in
improving the lives of Vermont women and girls.  Subscribing is easy:
hit reply to this message and include  "subscribe" in the subject heading.

---End of Forwarded Message---