Message from Jeffrey Marshall:

Alas, Swift doesn't say, though she writes "For many years the residents
of Burlington, the 'Queen City,' agitated to get the state capital moved
to their city."  I suspect that agitation ended long before the nickname
was commonly used.

Queen City Park was a Spiritualist camp grounds from 1882 until well
into the 20th century.  Its original 1882 constitution names it "Forest
City Park," but within a few months a motion was passed to substitute
"Queen" for "Forest," also inserting "South" before Burlington to
correct its mistaken location.

But I think we've already established that the nickname is older than that.

Jeff Marshall

karen stites wrote:
> I believe that Esther Swift's Place Names of Vermont (or Vermont
> Place-Names) includes what little is known about Burlington's nickname
> of The Queen City.  Is it short for
> One-of-the-Prettiest-Cities-in-America?
>
> --- On *Mon, 7/21/08, Kristin Peterson-Ishaq
> /<[log in to unmask]>/* wrote:
>
>     From: Kristin Peterson-Ishaq <[log in to unmask]>
>     Subject: From Schmidt Re: Fwd: Question Re Queen City
>     To: [log in to unmask]
>     Date: Monday, July 21, 2008, 2:30 PM
>
>     Note: Fred Schmidt's response follows at the end of this message.
>
>     Kristin Peterson-Ishaq
>     Center for Research on Vermont
>
>     Kristin Peterson-Ishaq wrote:
>
>     > My grandmother worked as a waitress in about 1900 at Queen City Park
>     >
>     > (or something like that). And I think I recall seeing a postmark with
>     > Queen City.
>     >
>     > Robert H. Rodgers
>     > Lyman-Roberts Professor of Classical Languages and Literature
>     > University of Vermont
>     > Classics Department
>     > 481 Main Street, Burlington VT 05405-0218
>     >
>     > Director, Center for Research on Vermont
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Quoting Kristin Peterson-Ishaq <[log in to unmask]>:
>     >
>     >> Hi--
>     >>
>     >> I am forwarding below a query to crvnet from Sylvia Bugbee.
>     >>
>     >> Thank you for your attention.
>     >>
>     >> Sincerely,
>     >> Kristin Peterson-Ishaq
>     >>
>     >>

ࡱ

Kristin Peterson-Ishaq
Coordinator, Center for Research on Vermont
     and Vermont Studies Program
University of Vermont
589 Main Street, Nolin House
Burlington, VT  05401-3439
Email: <[log in to unmask]>; Telephone: 802-656-8363
Web site: <www.uvm.edu/~crvt>