Hi Nancy,

The bird was not identified until it had left the area, and was later
identified through photographs.  So, the word never got out to the birding
community.  The record was accepted by the Vermont Birds Records Committee
last fall and was a first record for VT.

You can read the full committee report on the Vermont Ecostudies web page at:
http://www.vtecostudies.org/vbrc/RSDs/2007%20Decisions.pdf

For more information on the committee and its purpose, check out:
http://www.vtecostudies.org/vbrc/
Information on what species require documentation:
http://www.vtecostudies.org/vbrc/vbrcreporting.htm
and some reports from the database by Hector Galbraith at:
http://www.vtecostudies.org/vbrc/articles.htm

Allan

At 06:23 AM 7/18/2008 -0400, you wrote:
>I received my North American Birds summer issue yesterday, a periodical
>printed by the American Birding Association tabulating rare bird sighting
>for all of north America.   Of note was a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER at
>Lyndonville, Caledonia county, VT June 6-8 , 2007 (P.Therrian, R. LaPoint)
>described and photographed.  Is there any details or photos from the
>readers here that they can share about this sighting?  What a great
>find!  Keep watching those birds you never know what you may find.

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
347 Aiken Center
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910