A few weeks ago a female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker drilled numerous rows
of holes on a mountain ash tree branch right by a window of our house.
A few times it was accompanied by a male.  About two weeks ago the
female returned with a fuzzy youngster.  After three days with both
birds the youngster has come mostly alone.  There have been numerous
skirmishes between it and other visitors to the holes, some with
wing-beating episodes, all always won by "Fuzzy."  I've see it run off
the following to date:  Ruby-throated Hummingbird,  male Baltimore
Oriole (feathers actually flew as they beat on each other), Chickadee,
Phoebe, Kingbird, White Breasted Nuthatch, and Red Squirrel.

Ian Worley
South end of Snake Mountain
Cornwall