A man who does a lot of snowmobiling told me that there are many - at
least ten, maybe as many as thirty - very large nests not far from
the Bolton Valley access road. He said there are sticks as much as
3/4 inch in diameter in the nests. He thought there might be a nearby
beaver pond, but he wasn't sure. Is this a known heron rookery? I
can't think of any other large birds that would nest communally in
that location.

One way to get to the nests is to park at the sugar house and then
walk about 1/2 mile up a snowmobile trail. Another is to take the
logging road that intersects the access road right before the Bear
Something-or-Other restaurant. The guy recommended that I not walk in
there alone because it's prime bear territory - but I'd be willing to
investigate if I had someone with me. Does anyone want to go exploring?

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center