I spent several delightful late afternoon and evening hours at Dead
Creek Wildlife Management Area today, Wednesday, with an enthusiastic
new birder (who is well on his way to being very knowledgeable!). We
saw or heard 33 species, including 8 that were new to my friend.

Willow Flycatcher – Another birder reported a possible sighting of
this species. “Our” bird kindly sat on a bare branch and sang
repeatedly for us.

Black-crowned Night-Heron – three immatures and one adult, at their
usual place near the dam by the back parking lot and then flying into
a large pine tree

Osprey – posing in the dead tree by the back parking lot

Great Crested Flycatcher – a family of at least three, just at the
start of the east trail

Warbling Vireo – at least four together – I’m familiar with this
species, but I never heard it make the sound that Sibley describes as
Myeeep. These birds were making the noise over and over. We got
excellent looks at fledgling begging behavior and watched at least
one bird gleaning insects.

Northern Rough-winged Swallow – great view of the interesting color
pattern on an immature bird perching on a fence

Canada Goose

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Green Heron