Roger> I very much doubt that you were ever in any danger.  Perhaps you just felt strange in a different culture in a place where people can be stand-off-ish until they know you.  Sounds kind of like VT actually.   I have known only open and generous people in WV.  Those who ski WV backcountry, admittedly a self selected non normal group, are collectively probably the staunchest liberals I know, with a libertarian streak.  They can make VT liberals look like Attila the Hun.