From:         "Mark P. Renson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, Jul 24, 2008 7:38 pm
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Vegas, baby. [Was Re: Les Otten surfaces
To: Reply-        Vermont Skiing Discussion and Snow Reports <[log in to unmask]>To:           [log in to unmask]

I was just in Vegas en route to the Sierra Nevada.  I did not like it at all - I was taken aback by how rude the people were.  Maybe it was me ..... or maybe 'cuz most of my holdays in recent years have been spent in Canada and I've gotten used to Canadian Hospitality or I've gotten so accustomed to our own North Country.

Anyway, I was able to spend some overnights in the John Muir Wilderness, camping by a small lake at 10,300 feet that was filled with real live wild California Golden Trout. Bagged Mt Whitney via the Mountaineers Route - it's to the Sierra Nevada as the Trap Dike is to the Adirondacks.  Yes, it's that cool.  Sure enough at the summit, the afternoon thunderstorm came in an hour or so earlier and we had to flee and then whaddya' know - it snowed!  Snowed down to 13,500!  Hmmmm, the ski descent down this must be off the charts - 6000 feet of verts all the way down to Whitney Portal alone!

The rest of the time was dry and sunny and warm in California ....... it just made me want to get back to this: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/IMG_0032.jpg (Vermont)
and this: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/IMG_0159.jpg (New Hampshire)

Mark P. Renson