Roger, regardless of your skills and experience, and how safe you feel in
that big inflatable, I think that you should know that paddling solo in any
conditions is pretty-much a bad idea, and after heavy rains with water
rising, should be avoided unless you have a buddy. Regardless of how well
you know any river, things change and tihs happens.

What if you missed that eddy? What if you attempted the low-head dam and
missed?

I don't paddle anymore because my local paddling pals have either moved away
or are spawning and no longer do the fun things they used to do. Paddling
alone is a bad idea. I never do it. The choice is to drive hours to meet up
with people to paddle with, paddle alone, or not paddle. So, I don't paddle.
Even windsurfing on a windy day, while a solitary experience, I don't like
to go alone. I will usually wait until someone I know shows up, and I never
leave if there is just one person left out on the lake.

I am surprised that someone who had been shaken by the loss of fellow
paddlers and quit whitewater for a number of years has such a cavalier
attitude. Strainers, as you know, can appear at any time in the worst
places. That has always been my biggest fear on the easiest rivers. It
doesn't matter what the gradient is, or even how high the water is...a
strainer can kill you, especially if you don't have a buddy who can throw
you a rope nearby. This is primarily why you should ALWAYS paddle with a
partner.

You have a baby now...you should think about these things a little harder.

-Sharon