Does Robert really believe that the correlation cited between the
growth of interstate highways and divorce rates mean that interstate
highways cause divorce?

Hmm.

I'd think that perhaps divorce leads to the growth of interstate
highways, as divorcing couples try to flee as far away from each
other as quickly  as possible.

:-)

Mitchel