Dear Goldie the Delicate,
                              Your letter is predicated on falsehoods.
        I continue to bother with the flame-war powered by Ms C. H. Pine, supported by Michael Balter, for the sake of uncommitted third parties who have yet to speak up.
        The logic is, in outline, rather simple.

1.  I point out that criticism of GM has been, at least in the NZ media, almost entirely stated by extremely ignorant persons incapable of discussing the science.

2.  These operatives are, mostly, unqualified ambitious women seeking publicity & power.

3.  If criticism of GM is, in the media, mostly by persons who are very ignorant, or so sloppy that their utterances are too often wrong, to bring GM under strict regulatory control will be much harder.

4.  Fanatical vitriol-spewing hatemongers, notably Ms C. H. Pine, and their front-wimps, contest none of the above.

5.  These ideologues assert that fact (2) proves I'm anti-women.

6.  To criticise PowerHarpies is equated to criticising all women.

        It's amusing that the following bundle of truth is inspired by a famous utterance of my disreputable distant cousin.   The above illogic results from obeying these commandments.

        The Ten Commandments of Political Correctness

Thou shalt:

   1.  Regard all racial and sexual minorities as sacrosanct and refrain from any criticism of them.

   2.  Treat women as a minority, though they constitute 51% of the population. [*]

   3.  Blame all society's ills on the white, heterosexual, male "majority".

   4.  Deplore all discrimination, unless it is specifically designed to disadvantage the "majority".

   5.  Insist that the "majority" is by nature racist & sexist, and devise ways to control its behaviour.

   6.  Ignore any comments by minorities about the majority, or about each other, which might suggest that they too sometimes have racist & sexist tendencies.

   7.  Place no importance upon truth, accuracy or consistency of argument, for the next commandment makes these inconveniences unnecessary.

   8.  Silence all dissenters with a system of legal penalties, social vilification and ridicule.

   9.  Pretend that political correctness is simply about politeness.

  10. Rejoice in your moral superiority.

   * Note: The 51% figure relates to *all* females of all ages.
   Amongst the population of voting age women comprise in the USA closer to 57%.
           In other developed nations the figures aren't too far different.
   ---

   The Ten Commandments of Political Correctness    by Don Bruce.
   These were published in the letters to the editor of The Sunday Age newspaper on August 10, 1997.

===

You claim you are not misogynist, but your heavy and repeated attacks on feminists seem to most of us on this list to fall into that category.  Women have been oppressed, most of us believe, for thousands of years. Women's Liberation  is a movement against that oppression.  (You happen to live in New Zealand, a country that has perhaps gone further than  any other in overcoming that oppression, at least in the political sphere. I think most New Zealanders are proud of that, and rightly so.  But evidently, like the followers of Rush Limbaugh, you are piqued by it. )

Like other arguments I have asked people on this list to refrain from, yours against feminism is not going to persuade anyone, but merely lowers credibility for anything else you do write. It also leads to strong and repeated arguments to ban your writings. So, henceforth please refrain from such comments on this list.  I have asked the same of others on a variety of issues that probably are less offensive.  And please state publicly that you will so refrain.

I have become convinced that your failure to agree to this will force me to place all your remarks in moderation, which is tedious for me, and will be unpleasant for you, since your posts that are accepted will be delayed, sometimes, no doubt, for days. Please spare us both this annoyance.

On the other hand, if you do agree to refrain, I will stop personally filtering your posts, and so will read what you do write.  Maybe others wold do the same.

Sincerely,

Michael
-------
Michael H. Goldhaber