Sam Anderson wrote:
>An $18Billion capitalist investment ready to either yield profits
>for Big Capital and/or put PlanetEarth in Harms Way...
>
>mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

	I hve found these big accelerators hard to reconcile with any
simple model of capitalism.  At Berkeley, with house-mates doing
their Ph.Ds in physics using the then-biggest ('bevatron') on the
hill above the campus, I was never able to trace military or
financial benefit from the plurry thang.  My working hypothesis has
been that this category of expenditure is an example of cunning
grandiose scientists pulling the wool over the eyes of politicians,
duping them into paying for something which has little prospect of
leading to weapons, or defence, or money for capitalists.
	Capitalism is not totally efficient!
	Did the USSR ever try to rival even the bevatron, let alone
the subsequent bigger accelerators?  They certainly did get sucked
into enormous wasteful expenditure on many thousands of nuclear
weapons, and the fabled 'strategic triad' to deliver them, when
standard British doctrine was that a few dozen nuclear weapons
deliverable reliably on the heartland of the enemy constitutes
maximum deterrence.

RM

>August 8, 2008
>
>Date Set for Operation of Large Hadron Collider
>By DENNIS OVERBYE
>
>Physicists, start your engines.
>
>Officials at CERN, the European Center for Nuclear Research, outside
>Geneva, announced Thursday that their new particle accelerator, the
>world's largest, would begin operation on Sept. 10. On that date,
>the physicists and engineers will make the first attempt to
>circulate a beam of protons around a 17-mile-long super-cooled
>underground racetrack known as the Large Hadron Collider.

etc.