Sam Anderson wrote:
An $18Billion capitalist investment ready to either yield profits for Big Capital and/or put PlanetEarth in Harms Way...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

        I hve found these big accelerators hard to reconcile with any simple model of capitalism.  At Berkeley, with house-mates doing their Ph.Ds in physics using the then-biggest ('bevatron') on the hill above the campus, I was never able to trace military or financial benefit from the plurry thang.  My working hypothesis has been that this category of expenditure is an example of cunning grandiose scientists pulling the wool over the eyes of politicians, duping them into paying for something which has little prospect of leading to weapons, or defence, or money for capitalists.
        Capitalism is not totally efficient!
        Did the USSR ever try to rival even the bevatron, let alone the subsequent bigger accelerators?  They certainly did get sucked into enormous wasteful expenditure on many thousands of nuclear weapons, and the fabled 'strategic triad' to deliver them, when standard British doctrine was that a few dozen nuclear weapons deliverable reliably on the heartland of the enemy constitutes maximum deterrence.

RM

August 8, 2008

Date Set for Operation of Large Hadron Collider
By DENNIS OVERBYE

Physicists, start your engines.

Officials at CERN, the European Center for Nuclear Research, outside Geneva, announced Thursday that their new particle accelerator, the world's largest, would begin operation on Sept. 10. On that date, the physicists and engineers will make the first attempt to circulate a beam of protons around a 17-mile-long super-cooled underground racetrack known as the Large Hadron Collider.

etc.