In a commentary accompanying the Green et al. paper in Cell, Andrew Clark of
Cornell mentioned several interbreeding scenarios still consistent with the
new mtDNA sequence data; eg if all matings were between Neanderthal males
and modern human females, since mtDNA is transmitted only on the maternal
line, such matings would lead to admixed nuclear DNA but no Neanderthal
mtDNA in the offspring and their descendants (down to the present day.) The
overall evidence is leaning against significant interbreeding, but the full
Neanderthal nuclear sequence, due later this year, should provide much more
information about that.

This Wikipedia entry is very confused and incorrect at the end when it talks
about farmers and the Middle Stone Age (MSA). The MSA is a term used only
for Africa; in Eurasia the corresponding period is the Middle Paleolithic.
which corresponds to Neanderthal habitation. And farmers from the Near East
entered Europe (or the idea of farming did, this is the demic diffusion vs
cultural diffusion debate) only during the Neolithic period (beginning
around 8500 years ago in Europe), and not during the Middle Paleolithic,
Upper Paleolithic, or even the Epipaleolithic (called Mesolithic in Europe)
periods that preceded the Neolithic.

MB

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science