When I was a graduate student at Stanford in the 1960's, as I
remember, Leonard Schiff was Chair of the Physics Dept., head of the
Stanford Inst. of of Theoretical Physics and chair of the Air Force
Science Advisory Committee. A bunch of us students asked Schiff one
day why the Air Force  was funding theoretical physics of elementary
particles, he answered in his usual cogent and detailed manner with a
list of perhaps eight reasons, among them that , in a "national
emergency" there would be plenty of highly skilled minds to tap, and
in the meantime, many of those most highly talented would be available
to advise the Air force,  while lesser talents would be available  to
work for the Air Force full time.

But to some extent I suspect such answers were merely lazy thinking,
based on the fact that the physics research of the 1930's had led to
the nuclear bombs, and that , in cold war, one had to stay ahead of
the opposition, i.e., the Soviets, even if it was quite unclear how
this could be of use. Physicists ranging from Julian Schwinger to John
Wheeler to Steven Weinberg either testified before Congress that
particle research was necessary if the nation were not to fall behind
or speculated on such things as the "gravity bomb" (Wheeler). Of
course, as Charlie points out the SSC was eventually cancelled, which
happened shortly after the end of the Cold War.

But the USSR certainly did invest in High Energy Research,  first in
Dubna and than at Serpukhov, though they never were able to develop
much of a beam at the latter, a failing much attributed in the West to
the penchant for secrecy and centralized bureaucracy.  The Chinese
have invested in high energy physics too. And CERN has always been
taken to be a prime example of the possibility of wide inter -European
cooperation.

Going further back in history however, at least to the mid -nineteenth
c., a country or region's being up-to-date and competitive in
scientific research with the major world centers was taken to be
completely necessary of being effectively competitive. Advances in
science or even scientific instruments bring prestige. As far as
astronomical research, I am reminded of the Scotsman James Lick, who
came to San Francisco in the aftermath of the gold rush, got rich, and
apparently had the idea that he would leave his fortune for the
building of a pyramid  tomb for  himself that would be the pride of
SF. He was persuaded that even more pride could be gained by leaving
his money for a large observatory. The Lick observatory is still in
use. Other rich people , like Keck, have more recently given their
money for much larger telescopes. The "philanthropical" impulses are
probably not so dissimilar from those behind opera houses or art
museums, or even cathedrals. After all, trained scientists are not the
only people filled with curiosity and even wonder about the universe
and its origins. That should not be left out of account in trying to
understand why research is funded.

Best,
Michael