<http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/prince_charles_genetics/2008/08/13/121697.html?s=sp&promo_code=67DE-1>http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/prince_charles_genetics/2008/08/13/121697.html?s=sp&promo_code=67DE-1

Prince Charles: Genetically Modified Food 'Disaster'

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

By: Jim Meyers

Britain's Prince Charles has warned that the mass development of
genetically modified crops could lead to the world's worst
environmental disaster.

In an interview with Britain's Daily Telegraph, Charles accused
multi-national companies of conducting a "gigantic experiment I think
with nature and the whole of humanity which has gone seriously wrong."

Small farmers would be the major victims if those corporations take
over the mass production of food, the Prince declared.

"That would be the absolute destruction of everything  and the
classic way of ensuring there is no food in the future.

"If they think it's somehow going to work because they are going to
have one form of clever genetic engineering after another, then count
me out, because that will be guaranteed to cause the biggest disaster
environmentally of all time  We [will] end up with millions of small
farmers all over the world being driven off their land into
unsustainable, unmanageable, degraded and dysfunctional [urban
developments] of unmentionable awfulness."

Many scientists believe genetically modified crops are the only way
to guarantee food for the world's growing population as the planet is
affected by climate change.

But Charles pointed to the widespread environmental damage in India
caused by the rush to mass produce genetically modified food.

"Look at India's Green Revolution.  It worked for a short time but
now the price is being paid," he told the Telegraph.

"I have been to the Punjab where you have seen the disasters that
have taken place as a result of the over-demand on irrigation because
of the hybrid seeds and grains that have been produced which demand
huge amounts of water.

"[The] water table has disappeared.  They have huge problems with
water level, with pesticide problems, and complications which are now
coming home to roost."

Charles created controversy in 1998 when he accused genetic engineers
of taking us into "realms that belong to God and God alone."