The research involved both male and female athletes. From the PNAS paper:

"The sighted-athlete sample included 87 competitors (42 winners, 45
losers; 46% female) from 36 nations. Twenty-two of these individuals were
photographed in more than 1 match (e.g., semifinals and finals), producing a
total of 111 match winners and losers (58 winners, 53 losers; 43% female).
The
blind sample included 53 competitors (30 winners, 23 losers; 23% female)
from
20 nations."

--P.