I've asked that "Farquhar" be required to post under his real name, but
until he does: So far there is no scientific evidence  that the adverse
effects he is referring to are caused by HPV:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaers/gardasil.htm

Anyone with an iota of scientific training or knowledge knows that anecdotal
reports such as this are not valid evidence for a causal relationship. There
is no reason to conclude that Jenny's paralysis is associated with the
vaccination.

Judicial Watch is a conservative group funded mostly by Richard Mellon
Scaife, a rich and scurrilous icon of the far right. Conversatives are
opposed to Gardasil because they think it encourages sexual activity in
young women. They are counting on the naivete of people like "Farquhar" to
get their message across.

This is of course a different issue than the one we discussed a year or so
about Gardasil, whether or not it should be mandatory for teenage girls.
That is a legitimate subject of debate.

MB

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Peyton Jerome Farquhar
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> A month after 13 year old Jenny Tetlock was vaccinated against the HPV
> virus, she missed the lowest hurdle in gym class. It was the first sign of
> degenerative muscle disease that 15 months later left her nearly completely
> paralyzed.
>
> Her father, Philip Tetlock, a professor at UC-Berkeley, has embarked on an
> odyssey to find out whether the vaccine, Gardasil, is to blame.
>
> Tetlock is not the only one concerned. The public watchdog group Judicial
> Watch has been periodically obtaining adverse event reports on Gardasil
> from
> the FDA. 10 deaths have been linked to Gardasil since September 2007, and
> there have been 140 reports so far this year of serious side effects such
> as
> miscarriage and Guillain-Barré syndrome.
>
> Sources:
> U.S. News and World Report July 2, 2008

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science