Robert,

Petroleum is not required anymore.  Lubricants can be distilled from bio-oil
such made from algae and hemp.  Lubes don't require a petrochemical base.  I
too am usually cynical, however, it looks like we really are on the verge of
a tech-revolution - such as bio-diesel, bio-lubes, and bio-plastics.

Bio-fuels is safer (less polluting), according to a newly released
documentary I saw last night, "Fields of Fuel", and bio-fuels are renewable.
 They would be especially viable (at a national level) in hybrid cars, if
home-roof-top solar cell arrays began to also cut fuel consumption .

Here are two excerpts from a press release (3/24/ 2008) regarding the
opening of a new bio-oil farm in Texas:

a) "Microalgae have garnered considerable attention, since acre-by-acre
microalgae can produce 30-100 times the oil yield of soybeans on marginal
land and in brackish water. The biomass left-over from oil-pressing can
either be fed to cattle as a protein supplement, or fermented into ethanol."
 http://gas2.org/2008/03/29/first-algae-biodiesel-plant-goes-online-april-1-2008/

b)"The current algae farm consists of 1,100 acres of saltwater ponds that
the Company projects will produce a minimum of 4.4 million gallons of algal
oil and 110 million pounds of biomass on an annual basis.  The Company has
dedicated 20 acres of ponds for a proposed algae derived JP8 jet fuel
research and development program."

-Jim West
www.geocities.com/harpub

------