I suspect there's truth to both positions. BSA members and leaders could
pick up lots of trash and emphasize Leave No Trace but at the same time
unnecessarily damage environment through its practices. Re: Nathan's point
about kids and adults doing things without the proper training: while they
may be innocent in their intentions, there is no need to accept it. People
like TEO and others of us who know better, could try to work with and/or
join the BSA to make sure that well-intentioned BSA youth and adult leaders
do better.

As for the inescapable damage of large groups, perhaps those groups could be
divided into smaller ones? Or visit areas less susceptible to the impacts of
large groups.