Denis,
As the owner of a hardtail with caliper brakes, who has ridden full suspension and discs, I want to agree with everything JJ said. Definitely look at  XC bikes only, since you're not looking at being Mr. 'Core.

I think the most important thing is that you'll find full squish and disc brakes much less tiring than hard tail and calipers.

You can  find a bike for closer to $1000, but you will probably get less of a wheel, which is not really a good trade-off.

Which bike?  Ride every bike in your price range at all your local dealers.  When you get on the right bike, you will know it instantly, because it will feel right.  Be sure to ride a higher priced bike as well, so you can get a comparison between the bikes you're considering and a high-end bike.