All good points, Andrew.

  However, one thing you didn't touch on was the fact that the use of
  these cloud computing apps may fundamentally undermine the driving
  principles behind the open source community, since by using
  server-based apps, we have no way of accessing (or modifying,
  redistributing, etc.) the source code behind any of them.  This
  ultimately renders our software closed-source.

  The obvious response to be made here is that many web-hosted
  services like SVN, IRC, etc. make open source development and
  distributed community collaboration possible over the internet.
  However, while this is certainly so, these particular apps are open
  source, and their servers (and source code) can be downloaded
  freely, run, modified, and redistributed by any of us.

  The world under cloud computing, as it is being described by much of
  the blogosphere and the media these days, focuses more and more on
  centralized control of these servers, and there are no legal tools
  in place to prevent these services from all being developed and
  deployed under proprietary licenses (as I mentioned above).

  So although I can be glad that at least Google releases much of its
  code in the open source arena, I doubt we can expect that from many
  of the other usual players in the software dev game.

  Just my 2 cents.

  Keep on hackin' in the Free world,
    ~Gary