ALERT                          ALERT                          ALERT
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
GANG OF 10 BILL:
  BIGGEST GIVEAWAY TO THE NUCLEAR POWER
  INDUSTRY EVER !!

Call the

Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121

NATIONAL CALL-IN DAY: WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17

This is it. In the mainstream media, the Gang of 10 (actually, now
it's the Gang of 20) energy bill is all about offshore oil drilling.
And, to be sure, there's lots of that in the bill, which is expected
to come up in the Senate late next week.

The bill would also be the biggest giveaway to the nuclear power
industry ever.

Unlimited loan guarantees for construction of new atomic reactors.

That's right, unlimited. As much money-hundreds of billions of
dollars--as everyone in the nuclear industry wants, when it wants,
for as long as it wants.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you how that would absolutely destroy
our ability to effectively address the climate crisis and what a
disaster that would be for our economy, for our nation, for our planet.

How do these Senators think they can get away with this? Because
they're not hearing from enough of us, often enough. They think this
is a popular stand. We all need to stand up now and be counted.

That's why NIRS, CAN, Physicians for Social Responsibility and other
national groups are putting out the word for a National Call-In Day
to the Senate on Wednesday, September 17. We need at least 10,000
phone calls to the Senate on Wednesday. We need the phones there to
be ringing non-stop from dawn to dusk.

You can help !!

Call the

Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121

*Please call both of your Senators that day with a very simple message:

Take taxpayer loan guarantees for nuclear power out of the Gang of 20
energy bill. (note: the bill does not yet have a number. It's called
the New Energy Reform Act of 2008, but everyone will know what you
are talking about if you just say "Gang of 20 energy bill.")
*Please forward this Alert to any and all of your mailing lists.
*Please print this Alert and take it to any public meetings and
gather places you go to between now and Wednesday. Post it at food co-
ops and other central locations.
*Please talk to your friends and colleagues, congregations this
Sunday, PTAs next week. Spread the word.

*Call even if you think your Senator(s) are hopeless. Everyone
walking in the halls of the Senate should hear phones ringing
everywhere, all day long. It is important to keep those phones
ringing all day long!

We can't let the nuclear industry get away with this. All that can
stop it now are your actions. If we all just sit back and wait for
someone else to take action, we will lose. If we all make those two
calls-one to each Senator, and ask each of our friends and colleagues
to make those two calls, we can show the Senate what the American
people really think. And we can win.

It is up to each of us.
It's that simple.

Please take five minutes and make two phone calls Wednesday.

Thank you for all that you do.

Michael Mariotte
Executive Director
Nuclear Information and Resource Service
[log in to unmask], www.nirs.org
301-270-6477
September 12, 2008

P.S. For those who want more information:
You can read a Physicians for Social Responsibility analysis of the
nuclear provisions in the Gang of 20 energy bill here. The bill
includes not just loan guarantees, but also more "risk insurance" for
new nukes, construction of a reprocessing plant, and much more.
You can read a longer article on the issue  written by Michael
Mariotte for DailyKos here.