Not anymore.  School Boards appoint their own now. Adrienne/Shrewsbury
Zoning and School Board

Title 16: Education
Chapter 9: School Districts
424. Vacancies

 424. Vacancies

(a) Except as otherwise provided for a school district operating under a
charter, within 30 days of the creation of the vacancy, the school board
shall, by majority vote of those present and voting, appoint a qualified
person to fill a vacancy in the town school board, until an election at a
special or annual meeting is held and a record thereof shall be made in the
office of the town clerk.

(b) If there are vacancies in a majority of the members of the town school
board at the same time, the vacancies shall be filled by a special school
district meeting called for that purpose. The remaining board member or
members are authorized to draw orders for payment of continuing obligations
and necessary expenses until a majority of the vacancies is filled.

(c) If there are no town school board members in office, the secretary of
state shall call a special election to fill any vacancies and for that
interim shall appoint and authorize the town school district clerk or other
qualified person to draw orders for payment of continuing obligations and
necessary expenses until a majority of the vacancies is filled. (Added 1969,
No. 298 (Adj. Sess.),  44; amended 1975, No. 171 (Adj. Sess.),  1; 2005,
No. 32,  1.)