Not anymore.  School Boards appoint their own now. Adrienne/Shrewsbury Zoning and School Board

Title 16: Education
Chapter 9: School Districts
424. Vacancies

§ 424. Vacancies

(a) Except as otherwise provided for a school district operating under a charter, within 30 days of the creation of the vacancy, the school board shall, by majority vote of those present and voting, appoint a qualified person to fill a vacancy in the town school board, until an election at a special or annual meeting is held and a record thereof shall be made in the office of the town clerk.

(b) If there are vacancies in a majority of the members of the town school board at the same time, the vacancies shall be filled by a special school district meeting called for that purpose. The remaining board member or members are authorized to draw orders for payment of continuing obligations and necessary expenses until a majority of the vacancies is filled.

(c) If there are no town school board members in office, the secretary of state shall call a special election to fill any vacancies and for that interim shall appoint and authorize the town school district clerk or other qualified person to draw orders for payment of continuing obligations and necessary expenses until a majority of the vacancies is filled. (Added 1969, No. 298 (Adj. Sess.), § 44; amended 1975, No. 171 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2005, No. 32, § 1.)