  From: John Cushing
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 8:37 AM
  Subject: Re: Dog Lic.

  Good Morning, Richard

  As Town Clerks, you will find that we are many times are having to make decisions based on our Town Attorney's advice -- that is who will defend our actions. This is not a unique issue. Many of the decisions that we make in our office today are most likely based on our opinion. If you were to travel the State of Vermont and visit each Clerk's Office, you would immediately learn that very few of us carry out our duties without some influence of our own personal opinion. I understand the confusion on this issue, however, we must find a solution and hopefully the majority of us will follow the decision in the same manner so as not to make it more confusing than it already is. It may mean having to have the legislature clarify it in January.

  I think we are making this even more confusing than the law is. The law says there is going to be an increase in Dog Licenses for April 1, 2009 - if an office begins issuing dog licenses for 2009 in January, they are in fact issuing a license for April 1, 2009 -- the fee would be with the increase.

  John P. Cushing
  Town Clerk & Treasurer
  Town of Milton
  PO Box 18