I took a group of students out Sat. night/Sun. AM in search of
owls.  Normally we call these "stupid owl trips" as the owl tally pales in
comparison to our counts of dogs, cats, and cows, but the warm, calm night
provided great conditions to listen for night birds.  We found 5 E.
Screech-Owls (Missisquoi NWR boat launch, Tabor Road, North Hero State
Park, Alburg, and Lakeview Dr. [North Hero]), 4 Barred Owls (Mud Creek and
3 at North Hero State Park), and 4 or 5 Great Horned Owls (Mud Creek area
and North Hero).  No luck with Saw-whets at 3 spots along the way.

Allan

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
347 Aiken Center
Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-2910