Yes, I know. I misspelled subtle. (my bad)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Mead" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:52 PM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Long-tailed Jaeger at Charlotte Town Beach

This morning @ 8:08 a.m. a Long-tailed Jaeger (light juvenile)flew in from
the
south, about 1/4 mile out from shore. It was about 20-25 ft. off the water.
While looking at it from the side I could see; dark & light barring on the
tail
and a thin line at the tip of the tail that stuck out beyond the rest of the
tail.
(This thin line was the central tail feathers). I also saw that its' belly
and neck
were very light colored (whitish). There was a faint darkish band across the
breast. I also noticed a white patch at the base of the primaries on the
underwing. After a while it turned to the west and provided me with a look
at
its' upperbody for few seconds. It had narrow wings and pointed wingtips.
Its'
upper wings and back were dark all over (brownish colored). When it fanned
its' tail open I noticed a wide, dark terminal band. The bird flew toward
the
northwest and landed on the water about 3/4 mile out. From there I could see
that it had a light colored cap and head.

The behavior of this bird was interesting. It flew in at a leisurely pace
and
didn't act as though it was in a hunting mode. It flew by some gulls and
acted
disinterested in them and they seemed to pay it no mind as well. It was as
though it had already fed elsewhere... At one point (while it was on the
water
preening) a Bonaparte's Gull landed in front it. The Boney found some food
and
started to fly away with it. The Jaeger saw this and it (seemed like it was
thinking, "Hey I may have just fed but how can I pass this up")? It then
flapped its' wings a few times and made a suttle move toward the Boney. The
Boney saw this and reacted like it had just realized that a Jaeger was right
next to it. The Boney immediately dropped the food and got out of there. The
Jaeger then went over to the food and ate it. I then watched it preen for a
bit and then I had to go.

The other birders present when I first spotted the bird were- Jim Osborn and
Larry Haugh. Steve Antell showed up within a minute after that. Then Ted
Murin showed up after the bird had landed on the water. We all got to watch
this bird for over an hour..

Enjoy Birds,

Jim Mead