*Vermont

*Statewide

9.26.08

*VT0403.06

This is the Vermont Rare Bird Alert for September 26, covering the period
September 22-26, 2008.

The VBA will be slightly abbreviated this week due to a change in the day of
the week it will be posted (changing from Mondays to Fridays). The
highlights of the week were the GOLDEN EAGLES passing over Putney Mt. on
9/21 (1), 9/22 (1) and 9/23 (1).

A BAIRD'S SANDPIPER was spotted in Shoreham on 9/23 (along with a DUNLIN,
PECTORAL SANDPIPER, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER and a LEAST SANDPIPER).

The most recently reported RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD was seen in Norwich on
9/23.

A PHILADELPHIA VIREO flew into a window and met its demise in White River
Junction on 9/24.

Two GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSHES were seen along the Ridgeline Trail at the Birds
of Vermont Museum in Huntington on 9/24.

This weekly Vermont birding report is a service of the Vermont Center for
Ecostudies (VCE).  VCE is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
understanding and conservation of birds and other wildlife.  With a reach
extending from northern New England through the Caribbean to South America,
our work in wildlife research and population monitoring unites people and
science for conservation.  Our offices are located in White River Junction.
Please visit VCE's web site at www.vtecostudies.org .

Please report your sightings of rare or unusual birds to VCE, or email
reports to [log in to unmask]  Better yet, enter your sightings on
Vermont eBird at http://ebird.org/content/vt/.

Mary Holland

Chris Rimmer

Kent McFarland