Now that it's getting cold at night, just a reminder of something I've
read here in the past -- that when hummingbirds drink from a feeder
that's been in 30-50 degree temps all night, it lowers their body temp
so much that they can drop into a torpor and literally fall unconscious
to the ground. This leaves them vulnerable to predators and other
injury.

I believe the recommendation to avoid this is simply to bring feeders in
at night at this time of year, and hang them outside again in the
morning.  I mention this because I know a number of folks who feed
hummingbirds who hadn't heard this before I mentioned it -- after
reading about it here (thanks, VTBird!).

Miriam Lawrence
Monkton