First, I recommend you take your time. Do some research and know your site conditions. Trees are long term, expense (unless you search out bargains) plantings. Plant trees that will do well on your site. An understory tree on a sunny bank will be unhealthy and not do what you want. There are a lot of good books describing bird attracting landscapes. Spend this Fall and Winter getting knowledge. Also be aware of potential problems and differences in cultivars. Crab apples are nice but choose an apple scab resistant variety, one with persistent fruits that are small enough for birds. There seem to be individual differences too. I have seen clumps of crab apples of the same variety where one is stripped quickly, one later and one untouched all winter. Don't know how to predict that one. So, don't just look for trees birds like but, ones that they like that will do well on you property. Kevin
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: michael thomas<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:49 PM
  Subject: [VTBIRD] Trees for Bird?

  Hello -

  I am planning to plant a number of ornamental trees on my property and would like to select varieties that are both attractive and popular with the birds. I am considering mountain ash and flowering crab or other ornamental fruit trees. But i've noticed that the fruit of some ornamentals seems much more attractive to birds than others. Does anyone have any recommendations or insights as to specific varieties attracting specific birds? What have you been successful with? I hope this is not an inappropriate question for the list. If so, please email any answers to me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Thanks.
  Michael