Leigh wrote:
>>We're talking about a VP candidate with less experience than Obama,
>>who is supposed to be ready to take over for McCain; McCain has a
>>~14% chance of dying during his term, based on Social Security
>>actuarial tables, with an addition 3% - 5% chance of being
>>incapacitated and unable to carry out his duties. Those figures are
>>based on someone of his age being in average health. However, for
>>McCain's specific cancer, textbooks cite 10-year survival figures
>>of about 60 percent to 70 percent. That was in 2000. That
>>prediction means he has a 30-40% chance of dying from cancer by 2010.
>

>Jeez Marc (obviously resetting his doomsday clock) , did you forget
>all about that old saw "lies, damned lies, and statistics" too?

Not at all. Statistics represent a population and probability, and
never apply to an individual. But failing omniscience, it's the best
we have. That's why the life insurance premiums on a 72 year old
(like McCain) are a lot more than for a 45 year old; why they're
higher for a smoker than a non-smoker; and why someone with diabetes
and asthma basically is ineligible for life insurance. Can we at
least agree that it is probable that both Obama and Palin will
out-live McCain? And that the possibility that Palin will need to
take over for McCain is some degree higher than the possibility of
Biden stepping in for Obama? Actually McCain may well do better than
statistics suggest, based on his free (to him) government provided,
socialized health care plan.

The point is that Palin's views and positions are extremely important
in this election. More importantly, McCain was attacking Obama for
months on his lack of experience, then he picks someone with even
less experience as his VP choice - someone who might have to take
over. So despite a big chunk of campaign based on the experience
issue, McCain suddenly says, by virtue of Palin, experience is
unimportant. How can we possibly believe anything else McCain says?

>Required reading for skivt-l voters:
>
>Simply put, this is the best analysis on what I'll term the 'chrusch
>syndrome' that I've read in a long time:
>
>http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=764724

We'll get to that in another post. Short answer: I agree with many of
Kalt's points; far too many liberal pundits are really missing a
number of points (and some that have been made I find particularly
galling); and being mayor/governor/small-town/redneck/appeal to
middle America all have nothing to do with why we shouldn't vote for
her and McCain.

-marc