I have three kids.  11, 17 & 17.
Mom is x-country skier only.
Kids started on x-country skis when they could walk.
All learned to ski/board at Smugg's.
We signed each of em up for the all day program once when they were 3-4, but
only once. (Misc lessons at Bolton, Stowe over the years).
After that dad was their teacher/buddy until they wanted to head out on
their own.
11-12 seems to be the age they no longer want to be with you all day.
(Just hand em GMRS radios and let em go where they want.)

Although I would have loved to be out in the woods on those great powder
days there is only limited time to share this with your kids.  The woods of
Morse are just fine.  First time you see the little ones knee deep you'll
understand.
Sum:  Ski with your kids till they don't want to ski/board with you.

We ended up at Smugg's because: terrain/woods is good for dad and kids;
x-country trails meet up with ski trails at Highland lodge so mom can join
for lunch; season pass get's you fun-zone and pool (when kids get whinny
this is a big bribery help) and cost was best deal around.  A Mad River Glen
feel without the Stowe attitude.