We had the same case -- where both the property owner and the escrow paid - and we had the property owner send us a letter requesting that his payament be returned to him. But in the case where the escrow pays the money and ends us overpaying, we send back to that company. Reason being that people refinance and sometimes an old escrow company will make an installment before they realize that they should not have or they refinance and they are now responsible for their own taxes.    Paulette

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy Deutl, Moretown Treasurer
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 11:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tax Refunds

This just happened to me yesterday.  The property owner paid $2600 earlier this year in advance and then his mortgage company just sent us the entire amount of $2853.  The property owner called me and requested the credit be returned to him personally. Any reason why I shouldn't do that?

Thanks!

Amy Deutl, Treasurer
Town of Moretown
P.O. Box 666